Keep cockroaches at bay with these handy pest control tips.
Cockroaches are simple creatures. All they need is food, water and somewhere to hide. Removing these basic needs is the first line of defense to ensure your property remains cockroach-free.
What Do Cockroaches Look Like?
Did you know that 41% of households in America have a roach infestation? So, if any of your tenants call to tell you their apartment is infested with roaches, you need to be able to identify the critters.
These pests have six legs, flat bodies, and large compound eyes. Cockroaches also have two long, flexible antennae, wings, and small claws at the ends of their legs. They range in size from an inch to as long as three inches.
If your property does have roaches, don’t delay in calling in a cockroach exterminator like Platinum Pest Solutions. It’s a very difficult problem to resolve without professional help.
How to Get Rid of Cockroaches
No property manager wants a roach-infested property. But in addition to calling in the experts, there are several things your tenants can do to keep cockroaches at bay.
- Always wipe down surfaces where food is prepared or eaten.
- Don’t leave out dirty dishes overnight.
- Keep pantry shelves and storage cupboards clean.
- Store non-refrigerator foods in air-tight containers. It’s worth noting that glass is a safer alternative to plastic storage containers.
- Regularly clean the insides of microwaves, ovens, and extractor hoods.
- Clean hard-to-reach areas like beneath and behind the stove, washing machine, and refrigerator.
- Wash pet food dishes daily and don’t leave pet food out overnight. A pet’s water bowl is a source of water for lurking pests, so think of ways to resolve that issue, too.
- Take compost and garbage out of the bins every night and place them in the relevant outside bins. If this isn’t possible, ensure that inside bins are closed tightly.
- Sweep and vacuum floors regularly to get rid of food debris. Remember, the vacuum bag is a food source for cockroaches, so the vacuum cleaner bag should be disposed of in a sealed container.
You Can Take Preventative Measures
Property owners should keep an eye out for gaps and cracks in cupboards, walls, floors, and around electrical cables and water pipes. Inspect underneath basins and sinks, and check for any water leaks that need to be repaired.
If there are wood shelves on the property, paint or varnish them, and make sure they are regularly wiped down. Inspect key areas where cockroaches could gain entry to a property, such as vents, sewers, crevices, and pipe drains, and seal those areas with sealant or a caulking product. Also, don’t forget to seal areas under bathroom cabinets and around baseboards to reduce potential hiding spaces.
Call a Knowledgeable Cockroach Exterminator Today
If you suspect your property has a cockroach infestation, call in professionals who will discuss how to get rid of cockroaches for you. It’s also a good idea to have a property treated every three months to stop infestations before they happen.
To keep your property cockroach free, call the team at Platinum Pest Solutions today for a free evaluation.