Book your canine bed bug inspection today to keep infestations away.
Dogs have effectively been used to detect many things, including pests. So, why not bed bugs? In fact, canine bed bug inspections are already available.
Bed Bug Detection Dogs Are Specially Trained
Studies show that bed bug sniffing dogs boast a 97% accuracy in finding live infestations. Humans, by comparison, show just 30% accuracy when looking for bed bugs.
That makes sense when you consider that bed bugs go through five stages of development. In most of those phases, they’re smaller than a sesame seed. The eggs and nymphs are yellowish, making them difficult to see on lighter colored carpets and linen. Plus, adult bed bugs are no more than a quarter of an inch long, and they’re expert hiders.
All these elements help to camouflage the bugs from visual human detection, which is why more companies are rely on a canine’s keen sense of smell to sniff out the pests. Further, the process to conduct canine bed bug inspections is simple. A trainer simply walks the dog through the property and points out areas for the dog to examine.
Why Are Bed Bug Sniffing Dogs So Effective?
There are several advantages in using canine teams for pest detection, including:
- Dogs can detect pests in all life stages. Meaning, dogs can alert trainers to both live bugs and eggs. The National Pest Management Association promotes the use of pest detecting dogs in part because of their ability to sniff out bed bugs even when there are no live bugs or viable eggs found in a visual inspection.
- Dog inspections are fast. Bed bug detection dogs are also effective. They can search entire properties quickly. Large factories or hotels, for instance, can be covered in a fraction of the time it takes an exterminator to complete a visual inspection.
- Dog pest inspections are accurate. Sniffer dogs have a high percentage of accuracy in detecting the scent of live bed bugs in furniture, walls, and mattresses. Plus, the teams inspect each and every room with little disruption and don’t leave a mess in their wake.
- Dogs can help protect your reputation. Thanks to their accuracy, fully-trained canines are recognized in courts of law and recognized as a scientific instrument. A certification of inspection from a dog detection team can enhance your reputation and protect your image.
- Early infestation detection saves money. Because of their accuracy, a dog inspection team can identify a single bed bug just as easily as it can discover an infestation. Early detection means treatment won’t be as costly or as extensive as it would be for a severe infestation. This reduces expense and time due to disruption on business premises. Plus, dogs have such a strong scent detection ability, there’s no need to remove baseboards, dismantle furniture, or pull up carpets unnecessarily.
Say Goodbye to Bed Bugs with Bed Bug Sniffing Dogs
It’s a good idea to have a bed bug sniffer dog inspect your property at least once a year to find and treat units before the problem spreads.
Platinum Pest Solutions is an industry leader in canine bed bug detection. Book your inspection today.